QUICK CALL REQUEST
Request a call now and we’ll reach out within 24 hours to schedule your estimate!
Roof inspections are important for detecting problems and stopping serious roof damage in its tracks. The Modern Pros conduct professional roof inspections throughout the Detroit Metro area.
What Happens During a Roof Inspection?
There are many problems a licensed roofing contractor looks out for during an inspection, including the following:
- Shingles that are missing, broken, or curled
- Loose or broken flashing or ridge vents
- Moisture damage
- Holes or gaps
- Attic leaks
- Damaged gutters
- Problems with the roof layout
- Gauge the remaining life of the roof
Your inspector will also gauge the remaining life of the roof. Depending on what problems you have and what it will take to fix them, the age of your roof plays a role in determining whether a new roof or strategic repairs are the best choice.
Roof inspections have an interior and exterior component. Sometimes, what’s going on inside the attic is more telling than what’s visible on the outside and vice versa. A good inspection is a thorough inspection.
What’s Included in an Inspection?
Getting a roof inspection is worth the minimal time and cost to make sure that no damage has developed. Repairs are less expensive than a new roof and you may be able to make your roof last longer with a regular survey of every surface and corner and getting repairs where needed. An inspection typically includes:
- Structural inspection: Evaluation of the overall roofing system and its main components to look for sagging and examine gutters, soffit, fascia, chimneys, vents, skylights, grout, and seals.
- Material inspection: Inspection of the roofing materials, from shingles to flashing, and an examination of the roof for staining, water damage, leaks, pests, and cracks.
- Interior inspection: A look for signs of roof damage on the interior of the home that are not visible on the roof, particularly on ceilings, attics, and even walls. This could include water stains, mold, holes, light, or signs of pests.
- Workmanship inspection: An examination of poor workmanship that could increase the chance of developing leaks or other roof damage.n
How Often Should You Get an Inspection?
You will find many different recommendations for how often you should schedule a roof inspection. Here are some parameters to consider:
- An annual inspection is the best practice for thorough home maintenance.
- If you have an older roof of 10+ years, it is more susceptible to damage from weather and would benefit from seasonal inspections.
- Inspections are a good idea after any major storm that involves high winds, flying debris, hail, or heavy snowfall.
- Always have your roof inspected before you sell or buy a home.
- Schedule a roof inspection if you notice damage standing at ground level, see shingles or other components of the roof on the driveway or yard, or notice leaks inside your house.
- There is no bad time of year for a roof inspection but the time in between spring and fall gives the inspector a better look at what’s happening without interruptions from bad weather or falling foliage.
Get a Roof Inspection in Detroit from The Modern Pros
If you have never had a roof inspection in your current home, it’s a good idea to take the steps to get the area looked over, especially if you are in a previously owned home and did not have an inspection before buying. Home maintenance or DIY efforts might have worked for the homeowner before you, but it’s time to arm yourself with knowledge about what’s above you every day and night.