Summer weather means hot weather and new challenges for your home and roof. Look out!
We at Modern Xterior Improvement, your professional roofing friends are giving you this information to help you weather the summer without undue stress on your roof.
- During summer heat here in Metro-Detroit, a lot of care needs to be taken in dealing with your roof, first be careful when walking on your roof. Walking on old composition shingles it is easy to break the shingles as they get hard and brittle. Even on new shingles it is easy to damage the shingles and shorten their life by walking on them; they get soft and the granules will come off the shingles. Instead of walking during the hottest parts of the day, do any necessary roof inspections in the morning before 9:00 AM or late in the evening after the roof cools.
- Check that all roof gutters and valleys are clear of leaf debris. Check for excess granule deposits in the gutter.
- After heavy storms, check to see that gutters continue to flow properly.
- After any intense wind storm with winds of over 40 mph, check to see how your roof weathered the storm. Meteorologists report wind speeds recorded at local weather stations and airports which measure 3 second averages at 30′ above ground. It is possible for localized intense wind or microbursts to occur and not be noticed. It is possible for your roof shingles to be damaged seriously; small areas of roof can lift due to the wind uplift characteristics. If you see shingles that have been blown into your yard, whether they are yours or someone else’s, inspect your roof carefully or contact MXI for a free roof inspection.
- It is best not to use flat roofs such as patio’s or carports as a place to sit during the nice weather. Remove any lounge chairs or debris from your flat roof areas. These items can cause permanent damage to the roofing materials.
- Check roof areas often for debris from wind storms and remove immediately. Be sure to check your trees and shrubs that they are not rubbing on the roof and causing damage.
If you have any questions about the care maintenance with your roofing system, please contact MXI today!